Bloods pursue reserves flag

Terang Mortlake’s Jake Crawley snaps towards goal against the Roosters at Hanlon Park.

TERANG Mortlake’s reserves football side advanced to the grand final with a thrilling win over South Warrnambool last Saturday.

The two sides played a hard fought contest in the second semi-final at Portland, which saw the lead change several times across the day.

HFNL Terang Mortlake Finals Week 2 - 2nd Semi final
« 1 of 10 »

Initially it was the Bloods who were in front, and then it was the Roosters’ turn before the game returned to level pegging at three quarter time.

But with only one side capable of moving onto the decider, it was Terang Mortlake who moved clear when it mattered most.

They pulled away in the final quarter of the match to record a 10.9 (69) to 9.7 (61) victory, moving onto their second grand final in the space of three years.

The Bloods made the most of a breeze in the opening term, kicking two goals to zero to open up a 14 point lead.

Jake Meade assesses his options as he looks to send the Bloods into attack.

However, the Roosters responded in the second term, kicking five goals of their own to the Bloods’ two to hit the front by half-time.

The third quarter saw both sides hit the scoreboard, with Terang Mortlake levelling the scores at the final change with three goals to two for the term.

Coach Todd Robertson urged his players to fight the game out strongly into the breeze in the final period, instructions to which the group responded to resolutely.

With a grand final berth on the line, the Bloods produced another three goal quarter, but more importantly restricted the Roosters to just two majors to prevail by eight points.

Will Moloney lunges towards the ball during last Saturday’s second semi-final triumph.

Daniel Kenna was named best on ground in his side’s victory, while Gus Bourke, Jake Meade, Mitch Carlin, William Moloney and Martin Wynd all performed well.

Wynd was the best of the Bloods’ goal kickers, finishing with four for the match, with Ben Finnerty, Gus Bourke, Paddy Bourke, Meade, Mitch Carlin and Jake Lee each kicking singles.

Terang Mortlake will now have a week’s break as a result of their victory, with the side to face either South Warrnambool or Koroit on September 22 at Reid Oval.

Koroit reached the preliminary final after they were too strong for Hamilton on Sunday.

The Saints held an early and lead and never look back as they went on to secure a 10.8 (68) to 8.7 (55) win.

Comments are closed.