A WIDE range of colours and scents greeted visitors to the Mortlake Soldiers’ Memorial Hall over the weekend.
A number of roses and other plant displays were exhibited as part of the 122nd St James’ Rose Show last Saturday and Sunday, alongside a Mortlake Garden Club display acting as a tribute to the town’s long history of hosting debutante balls.
Committee member Pam Walmsley said while recent weather had seen a decrease in the number of entries, the quality of entries was high.
“The quality of the plants was still very good,” she said.
Moyne Shire councillor Ian Smith presented trophies to the award winners, including:
- Andrew Harvey – Elizabeth Brookes Memorial Cup, St James Cup, Aggregate Winner in Rose Section, Moyne Shire Trophy (best rose) and E.C. Greenrod Perpetual Tray (most successful exhibitor);
- Ash McFadden – Mortlake Garden Cup Trophy (best collection of roses);
- Heather Rowe – Griffen Cup (most successful exhibitor in cut flower section);
- Susan Smart – Edna Spokes Trophy (champion iris); and
- Norma Parker – Dorothy Allen Memorial Trophy and Netti Draffen Memorial Prize (best entry in floral design).
Ms Walmsley thanked all organisers, volunteers and attendees for their ongoing support for the rose show.
“Hopefully, the weather will be kinder to us next year,” she said.
“It really is an icon of the community calendar.”